Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 9: Taoism and Baibai

A Baibai table at a shop near our apartment.

The practice of offering incense, with a bow, to the Taoist altar is called Baibai. As the incense burns, smoke rises, and ashes fall. The ashes represent impure air that sinks; the smoke, pure air that rises. So the offering represents the separation of pure from impure - the refinement and purification of internal energies. It also symbolizes the human body as being the meeting-place of Heaven and Earth: as the smoke rises, and the ashes fall, we make a connection with both earth and sky. (Source)

10 comments:

  1. I don't know about the religious benefits, but am in for the soothing colour effects :) I like the diff shades of pinky stuff over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a pretty common site all over Singapore, on particular days of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I visit their temple, I would be so lost in beauty that I might forget to pray. Actually done that too in our Buddhist temple here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting Nags & beautiful too. :)

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Anu, its gorgeous no?

    Thanks Siri :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baibai, learned something new today :) Love all that pink in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was new to me too. Although I see it all around, I never bothered looking it up until I took this picture. Also, I really had to crank down the contrast in the picture, it was *that* colourful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful Nags! The pic looks vibrant. It was very interesting to learn about the Taoist altar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful Nags! The pic looks vibrant. It was very interesting to learn about the Taoist altar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about the religious benefits, but am in for the soothing colour effects :) I like the diff shades of pinky stuff over there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...